Monday, June 9, 2008

ceteris paribus: Demand in life.

I always wondered about the economics and economist describing about demand. How does it apply to a normal individual , We have a desire to buy an expensive merc or a BMW but we are not backed by a ability to buy so its not considered to be a demand . Well makes a perfect sense.

But all I want this to be changed was on day I met an old man in adayar anandha Bavan . An old man in his mid 70’s comes to a shop and looks at the neatly arranged shelf of sweets and savories he walks back and forth seeing the prices and checks his pocket how much he can afford. He patiently asks for the prices of the things which are not marked, probably I felt he was praying that it should be in his budget. Finally he asks some thing to be packed, and at the counter when they say the price including the tax he find’s that he cannot afford that too. He simply walks out counting the money he has with him.

I then agreed with the economist infact demand is not only the desire to buy but also the ability to buy. But all I could do was to ask god to give every body the ability to buy at least for the food. I also wished he finds the same sweet he was wiling to buy in some other shop with the money he had.

No comments: