This blog is somewhere related to WASABI blog I have written . This one is nothing special but I just want to say that we also have something very similar to the Famous Japanese WASABI.
The betel leaves have different name in different languages. Eg.Taambuul and Nagavalli (Sanskrit), Vidyache pan (Marathi), veeleya/vilya (kannada), Vetrilai (Tamil), Vettila (Malayalam).My grand mother’s house is in Kerala , i did have a pretty good drive to her house. Our house is pretty old house and quite big. We used to have lot of tress in our back yard like, jackfruit, Mango, Badam , Tamarind, Teak,Neam , Lemon etc.
We also have Black pepper and betel leaves. Infact both these plants look kind of similar. I and my friend were just going through the garden, we just took a pinch of the leaves of betel and had the taste. It was very spicy and felt soothing when it went through the trot. I immediately though we have something every similar to wasabi. And the fact is that i eat the fresh leaves that were much better.
The aroma is very strong, once you fold them and smells it climbs very quickly inside your nose. As similar to wasabi the spice was very strong but it only last for few seconds that makes these very special and different from the spice from the chili.
Never miss a chance if you try to taste fresh betel leaves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment